Thursday, October 19, 2006

What Is Sleaze music anyway???

Play/Download "This is a Herbicidal Come-Down"

Ponder This...

There's been some very nice references made by some very nice people of late ....mostly relating to beautiful club experiences of years past....about how the music over the course of a night, sometimes longer.....drove emotions high, and low....about, how the music would energize, and sometimes, breakdown to allow you to breathe for a bit... slow you down just enough, so you could just, let, go....when you stopped thinking about hearing That song as your favorite.....and started "Hearing" the chord changes,
the breath in the melody line, the Bassline groove, or whatever else drives the drums.

So I'm guessin' some of this is because we just don't get the experience enough lately. I don't even get to play it enough....seems I have to beat the floor with drums most of the time....I'm easily distracted though, you know.....and I like me some hard too....but on This occasion....I, having all this talk about classic "Handwaver", "Saintly" music...dug on my "Wall 'O Vinyl" for more than a few of them ....and on this, Thursday of nights....and ok, I have to admit....After a mildly entertaining, local club "Contest", which ran late, to about 45 minutes before close, I decided to break out the Shirley Bassey, a la Propellerheads, and start the journey down to close.....it was fun....the people that were there, mostly Got it, the boss liked it because of the extra change.....and the crowd stayed till about 3:20. So after giving it a couple of sexy re-listens....I have to let this one go. I think that every track is a classic in it's own time...Some are brand new....some are old....but together....tempo and key match aside....the program blend makes them all work. Now I only wish I'd had more time ...to "Stretch out" even more. Next time will be different.....They all are.

Word of reassurance....Most of what I play is hard beated....Tribal, Electro, Italian, German, French, all over....so next p'cast will be Beat .....Trust me. Meantime...listen to this after you come home....not before you go out....Like I tell them.....You have to Know what Down is ...before you know what Up is. Keep your head to the sky...

Love all around
Herbie

PS: Check out this blog for a quick history lesson by an excellent writer.
Instant Disco History 9 Morning Music (JoeMyGod)

http://www.herbiejames.com

No comments: